Summer is the ultimate season for salads. There is no better time of year to feast on bountiful platters brimming with fruits and vegetables. During my weekly visit to the farmers market, I always start off with a slow stroll to take in what each farmer is offering. Last week tomatoes, peaches & habanero peppers captured my attention. I decided to combine them together into this spicy tomato peach salad and let me tell you, I am SO glad that I did :)
SPICY TOMATO PEACH SALAD ANATOMY:
SPICY: The spice in this salad comes from the pickled red onion with habaneros. Now, if habanero peppers are too spicy for your taste, then you can absolutely substitute with a tamer pepper. Fresno chilis or red jalapeños are much milder. And if you make sure to de-seed the peppers you will get nice heat without the aggressive fire.
SAVORY: Summer ripe tomatoes add a savory touch that contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the peaches. The crumbled queso fresco cheese is savory & salty with just enough creaminess to make this fruit dominant salad perfectly satisfying for a refreshing lunch or dinner.
SWEET: Juicy peaches are the main element of this salad. Their sweetness is a necessary foundation to harmonize with the fruity, pungent notes of the pickled red onion with habaneros. If you haven’t tried peaches in a savory salad, wait no longer, now is the time.
Finally, the cilantro lime vinaigrette is the what brings all of the above elements together into utter perfection. Its bright, herbaceous and makes this salad sing on your palate!
When I dreamt up this spicy tomato peach salad, I wasn’t quite sure what my hubby was going to think. And because he is the chief taste tester behind ful-filled, there isn’t a recipe that makes it to the blog without his approval. So I served him a plate while I finished taking the photos for this post. All I heard from the other room was continuous mhmming. Hubby’s expressions of satisfaction were exactly what I needed to hear to confirm this salad was a winner. Just as I imagined it would be <3
SPICY TOMATO PEACH SALAD
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 people 1x
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 peaches, halved, pitted & sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 10 oz (280g) queso fresco cheese (or substitute with another crumbly white cheese)
FOR THE CILANTRO LIME VINAIGRETTE
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey (or substitute with agave)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE GARNISH
- 1 cup pickled red onion with habaneros
- cilantro leaves
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- Place the cilantro, garlic, lime zest & juice, honey, salt in a food processor – pulse to combine. With the blade running, pour in the olive oil and process until smooth.
FOR THE SALAD
- Arrange the peach & tomato slices on a large platter. Crumble the queso fresco over the top of the peaches & tomatoes. Spoon vinaigrette over the salad (you will only need about 1/2 of the vinaigrette, reserve the rest for another use).
- Garnish with the pickled red onion & habaneros and cilantro leaves. Enjoy :)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 hours