Summer at the farmer’s market is a glorious sight filled with vibrant scenes of people getting their share of summer’s goodness. Each farmer’s table is brimming with every color of the rainbow – from juicy peaches to colorful peppers, but the most popular produce by far has got to be heirloom tomatoes. I always feel the pressure to move quickly on farmer’s market mornings, knowing that the earlier I get to the market, the better selection of tomatoes I will find.
This week I was all about bringing home a rainbow of tomatoes so that I could make this stunning heirloom tomato tart. Red, orange, yellow, green and even purple, each of these heirloom tomato varieties has its own unique flavor that will make this simple tart look and taste extraordinary. Summer is all about quick recipes that don’t have us cooking over a hot stove all day and this recipe delivers by being fast, easy and super impressive all at the same time.
The tart starts out with a puff pastry sheet that we spread with ricotta and then sprinkle with some flaky salt & fresh thyme. The pastry gets baked for 15 minutes at 400f and then set to cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
Once cool, we top of our golden tart with those glorious heirloom tomatoes. Layering each variety of tomato in the order of the rainbow makes for the most stunning presentation.
Another sprinkling of flaky salt and fresh thyme on top of the tomatoes and you have the most gorgeous summer meal. The fresh juicy tomatoes are perfectly complimented by the crisp puff pastry and creamy ricotta. This heirloom tomato tart would be ideal for an appetizer, breakfast, lunch or even dinner. It is a breeze to prepare, an absolute dream to eat, and it really celebrates the beauty of in-season tomatoes like nothing else.
P.S. The Saveur Blog Awards are open for nominations and I would be absolutely honored if any of you would be willing to nominate our blog for Best New Voice. Tomorrow is the last day to nominate, so if you would like to help us earn a nomination please click the image below. It only takes a couple of minutes to nominate, thank you so much!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed according to package directions)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (we love Polly-O Ricotta)
- flaky salt
- fresh thyme
- pre-heat oven to 400f degrees
- place puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper & gently roll with a rolling pin to even out pastry
- place parchment with puff pastry on a baking sheet & evenly spread puff pastry with ricotta leaving a 1" permitter of puff pastry as you go
- sprinkle ricotta with flaky salt & fresh thyme leaves & bake pastry for 15 minutes
- while the pastry bakes, slice your tomatoes into 1/4 slices (you will need 3-4 slices of each color, depending on the size of your tomatoes)
- remove pastry from oven & let cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes
- top pastry off with tomato slices & sprinkle tomatoes with flaky salt & fresh thyme leaves
- slice & serve