Growing your own food is one of the most satisfying endeavors one can embark on. There is just something about walking out to your own backyard and harvesting perfectly ripe fruit right off of the tree. The latest fruit in season from our backyard orchard is peaches. Our multiple variety grafted tree bore a bountiful harvest of supreme white peaches this year so, I felt compelled to make something special with them. See, we would have no problem simply eating them all out of hand, just the way they are. But, it seemed appropriate to turn them into something that would express their special beauty and that is exactly what this white peach tart does.
It just so happened that the day after we harvested our peaches and I had decided that I was going to make this tart, that my dear friend Amisha released her Peach Ginger flavor of jam for her company The Jam Lab. I knew it was meant to be, so I quickly ordered a jar and it came just in time for me to make this amazing tart.
For as stunning as this tart turns out, it is surprisingly simple to pull together. The crust is unlike other pie or tart crusts as it does not require any rolling out or chilling before you bake it, it just gets evenly pressed into the tart pan, resulting in a soft crust that has just the right amount of crispness to be the perfect foundation for the filling.
The final light dusting of powdered sugar perfectly highlights the beauty of the white peaches leaving you with what we think is the prettiest peach dessert there is. The simplicity of this white peach tart allows the flavor of the peaches to really shine and knowing that these peaches came from our own tree makes us love it all the more. But, even if you do not have your own peach tree, seek out some fresh picked peaches from your local farmers market and celebrate the glory of this amazing fruit by making a white peach tart at least once this summer.
- 1 1/2 cups (255g) gluten free flour (we used Cup4Cup - or you can substitute all purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup sugar (we used Mascobado sugar)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, diced & softened
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp peach jam (we used Jam Lab Peach Ginger
- 3-4 white peaches, ripe but still firm & sliced into wedges (8 slices per peach)
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 375F degrees
- In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, sugar, baking powder & salt - pulse to combine
- Add softened butter - pulse to combine
- Add egg & egg yolk - process until a soft dough forms
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface & knead just until it comes together
- Evenly press dough into the bottom & up the sides of a 10.5" fluted tart pan with removable bottom
- Spread 1/2 cup peach jam on top of dough & then lay the peach slices atop the jam filled crust in concentric circles
- Bake the tart for 20 minutes - remove from oven & brush peaches with remaining 2 tbsp of jam
- Return tart to the oven & bake for another 20 minutes
- Lightly dust tart with powdered sugar & leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing & serving
adapted from this recipe