BEET HUMMUS

I have been wanting to make beet hummus for a long time- why it took me so long to get around to making it I don’t know, but now that I’ve made it, I don’t think I can ever go back to plain hummus. Roasted beets infuse the hummus with their sweet, earthy character and of course their deep magenta color. The flavor is awesome, but my favorite part has got to be that color- when food is beautiful, it just tastes better.

beethummus1

Making hummus at home could not be easier. Whether you decide to use canned chickpeas or prepare them yourself at home, you are going to want to pinch off the skin that surrounds each prepared chickpea before you blend them into the hummus. It adds some time to the whole process, but by doing it, you will get perfectly smooth hummus- it is worth it, I promise.

beethummusing

A food processor makes quick work of the task.  The beets get processed first until finely chopped.  Then in goes the de-skinned chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, tahini, and lemon juice- this mixture gets processed until well combined.  Last you add in the olive oil and process the hummus until perfectly smooth.  Just like that and you have gorgeous homemade hummus.

beethummus2
beethummus3
beethummus4
beethummus5

beethummus6

beethummus7

Delicious any time of year and any time of day, this beet hummus makes a great snack or appetizer to dip seasonal veggies in or you can spread it on toast and then top it off with sliced avocado and cilantro like we did.  However you choose to eat it, you will be glad it is a part of your life.  Not only is it beautiful and delicious, it is real food, made with simple and healthy ingredients.

beethummus8

BEET HUMMUS

Ingredients

• 3 small or 2 medium roasted beets
  • (1) 15oz can chickpeas, with skins removed
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain salt
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • cilantro or parsley for garnish
  • olive oil for garnish

Instructions

ROASTED BEETS:
  • Pre-heat oven to 425f
  • Remove greens from fresh beets and rinse each beet with water
  • Wrap prepared beets in an aluminum foil pocket
  • Roast for 45 min - 1 hour depending on size of beets
  • Remove from oven and let cool - peel beets once they are cool
    FOR THE HUMMUS:
  • Prepare the chickpeas by pinching each one to remove the outer skin (this step ensures perfectly smooth hummus)
  • Add the roasted beets to the bowl of the food processor and pulse until finely chopped, stopping to scrape the sides as needed
  • Once beets are well chopped, add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and tahini to the food processor bowl and process until well combined, stopping to scrape the sides as needed
  • Last, add the olive oil to the food processor and blend until hummus is perfectly smooth
  • Spoon hummus into a serving dish, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and top off with fresh cilantro or parsley

{ 13 comments… add one }
  • christos giannes December 12, 2015, 5:07 am

beautiful, delicious, nutritious, will be preparing in my restaurant. i also make heirloom pumpkin hummus, great earthy colors
    christos

• bella December 12, 2015, 10:36 pm

Wow! Thank you so much Christo for stopping by! I am so excited to hear that you will include this beautiful dip at your restaurant! That heirloom pumpkin hummus sounds amazing!
      Kali sas orexi!
      Bella <3

• Jenna December 16, 2015, 10:01 pm

Yum! I have had beet hummus only twice–the first time was the one from Trader Joe’s and the second was at Hook & Ladder, one of my favorite restaurants in Sacramento. I love to make hummus at home but hadn’t thought of making a beet hummus at home. I will try this soon! And you’re right–the color makes it twice as nice, doesn’t it?

• bella December 17, 2015, 10:54 am

I never thought of making it at home until recently myself Jenna! It really is so beautiful and would be great as a holiday appetizer with its gorgeous color! I hope you enjoy it <3

• Loretta May 24, 2016, 1:02 pm

Love Beets is a product that you won’t want to live without once you try them. They come roasted and peeled and packaged in cryovac in quantities of 3 or 4. Just snip open the package and they’re ready to use. Makes life a whole lot easier.

• bella May 24, 2016, 7:29 pm

Hi Loretta!
      We have used Love Beets and really love their convenience! The only difference I have noticed is you don’t get the same vibrant color with Love Beets as when you roast them yourself, but if we are in a hurry, Love Beets are our first choice for sure!

• Georgia May 24, 2016, 7:30 pm

I have made beet hummus before – after I tasted Trader Joe’s I knew I could do it better. It’s so easy and beautiful and delicious and now I need to make some again! Thank you for the reminder! (I also have a pumpkin hummus recipe (my original) that I make too. Good to see like-minded (palated? is that a word?) people here.

• bella May 24, 2016, 9:04 pm

Of course Georgia! You’re welcome ;) and we’ll just say ‘palated’ is a word! lol! Nice to meet you! <3

• Josephine September 23, 2017, 8:00 pm

I came across your site accidentally and I’m glad I did. I love beets and I’m always looks for ways to cook beets in different ways. One question I have is you have a bowl of dark, 3 round balls. They are not listed in your ingredient list. What are they? Thank you.

• bella | ful-filled September 28, 2017, 7:33 pm