If we had to choose just one Greek dessert to be our favorite, it would have to be baklava. Layer upon layer of filo dough filled with finely ground nuts infused with a touch of spice, baked until golden and then drenched in a honey syrup – baklava is an epic dessert. The only problem with baklava is that it is quite time consuming to make. While I really enjoy making baklava, having to make an entire tray of it every time we get a craving for a piece is a little much, not to mention the amount of time it would take. So, we needed to come up with a quick and easy way to make our favorite Greek treat in a hurry and this puff pastry baklava was the answer.
Time and time again I find myself reaching for a sheet of puff pastry when I get the urge to create an impressive dish with little effort. For this baklava, a sheet of puff pastry gets rolled out just enough to create 12 squares of dough that become the vessels for our ground nut mixture.
You can use whatever nuts you have on hand to make baklava – we like walnuts and pistachios the best. Sometimes we combine them, but today I felt like making half of the baklava pieces with walnuts and the other half with pistachios. The ground nuts get mixed with a touch of melted butter, a dash of cinnamon, a pinch of salt & a good drizzle of honey.
My hubby likes the nut filling in his baklava to be really finely ground, but you can grind your nut filling as fine or as coarse as you like, there’s no wrong way to do it (but hubby would want me to tell you that fine ground is where its at!) These puff pastry baklava bites get prepped while the oven pre-heats and then 15 minutes of baking later, you have warm, puffy, sweet bites of baklava bliss! We like them best served while still warm from the oven and paired with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of tea
You’re going to want to keep this recipe in your back pocket because puff pastry baklava is the perfect quick dessert for those times when you need a baklava fix or you need an impressive dessert in a hurry.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/2 cup crushed pistachios
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup honey mixed with 3 tbsp hot water
- Pre-heat oven to 350f degrees
- Grind nuts in a food processor until desired texture is achieved. Add in melted butter, cinnamon, honey & pinch of salt, pulse to combine with nuts
- On a floured surface, roll out puff pastry into a slightly larger rectangle & cut out 12 squares
- Taking one square of puff pastry at a time, slightly stretch it with your hands into a square & place into the well of a muffin pan - repeat with all squares
- Evenly add nut filling to each well of the muffin pan & then bake baklava in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until nicely golden, but without over browning the nut filling
- While baklava bakes, add 3 tbsp of very hot water to honey & stir until thoroughly combined
- When baklava is done baking, immediately remove the baklava pieces from the muffin pan & onto a serving platter
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of honey syrup over each piece of baklava while still hot & then serve